This was really good. I put the zucchini in my food processor. My son didn’t know there was zucchini in it.
Skinny Zucchini Ziti
|Cook time||2 hours|
|Meal type||Main Dish|
- 1 1-lb., 7.8-oz. jar marinara sauce
- 3 cups penne shells, whole grain, dry
- 2 cups fat free cottage cheese
- 2 cups skim mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1 Large zucchini, sliced into 1/4-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
|In a large mixing bowl, combine cottage cheese, mozzarella, oregano, basil, and black pepper. |
In the slow cooker, spoon 1/4 of marinara sauce onto the bottom, add 1 cup penne shells, 1/3 of zucchini slices and top with 1 cup cheese mixture. Repeat until you have three layers. Top with the remaining marinara and lastly, cheese. Note: Keep penne shells and cheese away from the edges by about 1 inch. Pasta tends to get hard and cheese burns if allowed to touch the sides while cooking.
|Cover and cook on low for approximately 2 hours or until penne noodles are al dente Not all slow cookers cook the same, so be sure that the penne is done before serving. Allow to cool for 15 minutes before serving.|