Peppermint Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1/2 cup (1 stick, 8 Tablespoons) butter, at room temperature
- 6oz cream cheese, at room temperature (about 3/4 of a regular block of cream cheese)
- 4 cups powdered confectioners sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure peppermint extract
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 to 3 teaspoon heavy cream, heavy whipping cream (or milk- although I do like the richness that cream adds)
To achieve the red stripe in the frosting: Before filling a large piping bag with frosting, add some red gel food coloring to a toothpick, and draw two (vertical) lines with the red dye on the inside of the piping bag. Then carefully fill the piping bag with frosting. Squeeze some frosting into a bowl until you begin to see the red stripe, then frost the cupcakes.
Top cupcakes with some crushed candy canes (they will ”melt” after a bit, so they need to be served right away) or a small piece of peppermint bark (I used a little peppermint Andes candy).
|Place butter in a large mixing bowl and blend slightly. Add cream cheese and blend until combined, about 30 seconds.|
|Add powdered sugar (a little at a time) and blend on low speed until combined. Increase to medium speed and beat until it begins to get fluffy.|
|Add vanilla and peppermint extracts|
|Slowly add the heavy cream, a little bit at a time until desired consistency is met. (Don’t add too much if you want the frosting to stay in place when piped on cupcakes.)|
|Beat until fluffy, about 1 minute.|
|Use at once or keep refrigerated. (This frosting will keep well in the refrigerator for several days, but you may need to re-beat it for the best texture.)|